Set on a peninsula where the Kalu Ganga River meets the Indian Ocean the AVANI Kalutara Resort perfectly combines Sri Lankan culture with modern design in a beautiful setting.
The resort has an easygoing ambience which makes you feel right at home from the minute you arrive. Contemporary in style it mixes neutral tones with bold colours, exuding a relaxed minimalist elegance. Rooms have either a lagoon, garden or sea view. We opted for a sea view on the top floor, which offered exceptional views of the sunrise in the mornings.
Restaurants offer a variety of international and locally inspired dishes, we have to say the traditional Sri Lankan curries are incredible, served from dawn to dusk, although we decided to skip them for breakfast in favour of something slightly more continental. The resort is all inclusive but heading out to explore is very convenient, the historical town of Kalutara is only 10 minutes away where you will find many authentic places to stop for local cuisine should you fancy a change of scenery.
One thing we found slightly disappointing was the beach. Whilst the views are beautiful the beach is situated outside the hotel grounds and is open to the public. The hotel does not supply sun loungers, umbrellas or provide any maintenance so most guest’s favour the pool area which can feel quite crowded. Water sports lovers can take part in a range of non-motorised experiences including kayaking on the river. There are also a range of land activities to enjoy including yoga, table tennis, darts, volleyball and badminton.
The resort spa offers treatments ranging from simple, 15-minute manicures and pedicures to indulgent 120-minute body scrubs and facials. It also offers Ayurveda treatments, slimming programmes and aromatherapy.
- Set in an idealistic location the resort offers views of the calming river lagoon and the beautiful southwest ocean waterfronts
- Cold towels, flower garlands and fresh fruit drinks on arrival
- Incredibly welcoming, friendly and humble staff
Need To Know
- The transfer time is approximately 2 hours from Colombo airport, and is a very rough journey
- The sea is incredible rough, and often too dangerous to swim in
- 24-hour room service
- All Inclusive
- Sri Lanka has two separate monsoon zones. Bare these in mind when looking to book a trip
No. of Rooms & Suites: 105 rooms and suites, ocean, river or garden views
Rate Per Night: From £144