The Ampersand is a striking hotel, mixing contemporary décor, bright prints and eye-catching art installations which give the hotel a modern and fresh appeal. Rooms are surprising large, especially for a central London boutique hotel. It’s clear to see that inspiration has been taken from the nearby Natural History, Victoria & Albert and Science Museums, with rooms referencing five central concepts: botany, music, geometry, ornithology and astronomy.
We stayed in a Deluxe Studio room which had a huge free standing bathtub in the window over looking High Street Ken, toiletries come courtesy of L’Occitane which means you don’t have to worry about packing a big wash bag, as the basics have been covered with high quality products.
The hotel has plenty of dining options. The main restaurant, Apero, set deep in the hotels basement underneath the Victorian cellar arches, is among Kensington’s finest, with a relaxed and welcoming atmosphere that draws both hotel guests and locals. The menu is an array of easy-going Mediterranean dishes, such as flash fried English baby squid with saffron aioli, stone bass ceviche and suckling pig lasagne with mustard bechamel.
If its just drinks you’re after the restaurant bar is well equipped, catering to the classics but also some more interested concoctions, the Suffragette City cocktail is a winner! Afternoon tea can be enjoyed in The Drawing Rooms, along with all-day coffee and light bite menus.
The staff are friendly and clearly have a real passion for what they do, this is especially true of the bar staff. We found the service very professional, but not the slightest bit pretentious which is a welcome change, especially in this area of London.
- Location. Location. Location!
- The free standing bathtub with views onto the highstreet
- Each room comes with a mobile phone to use for free local and international phone calls and free internet access which you can take out and about during your stay.
Need To Know
- Small dogs and cats can stay for no extra cost, in selected Deluxe category rooms and higher
- Nearest tube - South Kensington
- Check-in/check-out times: 2pm and 12pm
- No spa
- Rates are room only; breakfast starts from £16 for Continental.
No. of Rooms & Suites: 111
Rate Per Night: From £200 per night