We’re lucky enough to travel alot and stay in some incredible places, but occasionally I stumble upon a place that really gets under my skin, in this case it’s the small but perfectly formed boutique hotel in East Hampton.
Positioned on East Hampton’s Main Street, just a mile away from the golden sands of the shore line is c/o The Maidstone, one of the two hotels privately owned by the Swedish hotel company c/o Hotels. Designed in a free spirited fashion with a mix of Nordic influence and timeless sophistication the hotel feels like the perfect home away from home.
The Maidstone is one of those hotels that makes you feel like you’re staying at a friends house. The intimate hotel restaurant, aptly named the Living Room is the heart of the home, serving an array of beautifully designed ‘slow food’ dishes with a pinch of Scandi influence thrown in for good measure, from Kottbullar (Swedish meatballs) with signature Lingonberry jam and French Fries to more sophisticated dishes such as Pan Seared Salmon with Smoked Parsnip Puree and Raspberry Balsamic Reduction. The real talking point however has got to be breakfast, a Scandinavian inspired continental is included in the room rate and is pretty amazing, but the Eggs Benedict and the French Toast are on another level!
Spend an afternoon navigating the town on one of the borrowed red Kronan bikes, relax on the porch whilst sipping the bars signature ‘Stockholmapolitan’ a blend of vodka, lime juice and Lingonberry (the Scandi equivalent of the blackberry) or follow the laid-back vibes to the hotel bar where the eclectic photography is off set by seating richly upholstered in Svenskt Tenn florals.
At the end of a long day retire to your uniquely designed room to rest and recuperate, each are named after Swedish Luminaries and are decorated accordingly. We stayed in the Nilsson suite, named in honour of the celebrated Brigit Nilsson, which has a small adjoining lounge area with beautiful views across the town pond. Rooms feature aromatherapy oils and burners, as well as tea and coffee making facilities, (the tins of loose tea are a particularly nice touch).
So there you have it, despite my reluctance to write about this incredible place so I could selfishly keep it all to myself I cannot recommend The Maidstone enough.
- Every last detail! Specifically the breakfasts, try the eggs benedict with the canadian bacon; the potatoes are incredible!
- Unique, individually designed rooms pay homage to Scandinavian luminaries.
- Pet-friendly; eco friendly and child friendly. Pets even get their own special menu, with treats such as Hot Diggity Dog (a beef hot-dog) and Rover Easy (scrambled eggs).
- Beautiful photography from the owners collection adorn the walls.
- Malin & Goetz products.
Need To Know
- Free WiFi throughout.
- Full concierge service, including spa specialists, dog walkers, dog groomers and babysitters.
- The hotel sells eco-friendly, Swedish products, including hand-painted clogs and jewelry from Efva Attling.
- During the Autumn & Winter months no beach pass is needed to visit the beaches.
- The easiest way to travel from New York is by bus on the Hampton Jitney or for a slightly more comfortable ride take the Hampton Ambassador which is more spacious and serves drinks and snacks on board.
No. of Rooms & Suites: 19, including three cottages and six suites
Rate Per Night: Double rooms from $396